Weakness, shortness of breath, sore shoulder after blood transfusion, cramping, headache

I was just in the emergency room two weeks ago for lightheadedness , weak, uterine cramps (tightening like braxton hicks but not pregnant) and nausea. My hemoglobin was 8.4. They released me saying I was very anemic and gave me iron supplements . I returned two days later and hemoglobin dropped to 8. I was admitted and I had one pint of blood transfused and that seemed to help a bit. They did a CT scan and ultrasound. Maybe an ovarian cyst but liver fine, kidney fine, no ulcer or diverticulitis . It is two weeks later. I have been eating a high iron diet consisting of beets, red meat, raisins, spinach and other foods in addition to a supplement, vitamin c and b12. I am taking this seriously. However, I am still feeling weak when I do even very little activity. Just not my old self. Shortness of breath, my upper arm/shoulder has been sore since the transfusion and hurts when I lift my arm. I occasionally have the tightening/cramping still and just overall not much energy and BAD headaches. It was recommended (since the gyn and gastroenterologist didn t find anything) that perhaps I see a hematologist? Is it normal to still feel this way after being diagnosed with anemia? I understand it takes weeks to recuperate. If you could shed some light on my condition, that would be great. Thank you. Laurie
Asked On : Mon, 8 Oct 2012