Was diagnosed with impetigo. Why did they develop into sores?

My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed by our pediatrician with impetigo . It has been very stubborn. However, her spots do not look like the pictures I ve seen of impetigo, we are wondering if it could be something else. The spots are light pink and initially were scattered all over her forehead and both cheeks. Initially, some of the spots would open into sores on their own. She has been treated with two rounds of antibiotics and now the spots are mainly on her right cheek. Her forehead is clear and left cheek only has a couple spots left. After being treated, the spots no longer open into sores unless she scratches them. Most of the time they don t itch , so for the most part she has left them alone. Is staph or strep impetigo the most likely cause of this condition? Is it usually this hard to get rid of? Do we need to visit a specialist?
Asked On : Thu, 13 Sep 2012