Unexplained bruise, swollen, painful in knuckle. Is it damaged?

I have an unexplained bruised and swollen right knuckle (middle finger ) that has been hurting for a few months now. Whenever I lightly hit the back of my hand on something or if I try to stretch it, it starts to hurt. I also noticed the pain as I type. Right now the knuckle is twice the size of my left knuckle, but there is no pain when i touch it, only when I am using my hand. Any ideas on what damage has been done to it & how can I fix the swelling? Could it be related to using the keyboard (job related) too much or maybe I did hit it on something (I just don t remember what it was...if I did hit it on something)? The pain is only around the knuckle so could it be a muscle issue or did I damage the knuckle?
Asked On : Wed, 2 Jan 2013
Hi, I have rad your problem. First of all you should get xray of right hand focusing knuckle of middle finger done send us the reporting .It is only after seeing the xray , further treatment at can be advised .Till then apply hot pack over knuckle in morning and evening for 30 mins .You can take painkiller on and off but avoid using your right hand for heavy work eg. gym exercises ,you can do lighter work like writing paper or routine daily works

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
From the given description, I feel that you could have sustained a SPRAIN of the Metacarpophalageal joint (MCP joint). Either the capsule of the joint or the ligaments might have suffered injury due to overstretch.
The Acute management of this condition is as follows -
* Rest to the local part - by avoiding any further movements that puts strain over the MCP joint.
* Ice packing - to instantly reduce the pain & swelling. Cold compressions should be kept for atleast 15 minutes and should be repeated every 2 hours.
I think the above measures will temporarily take care of your symptoms. For definitive diagnosis and management, you have to consult an orthopedic surgeon.
I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.