Undergone several abdominal surgeries, muscles weak. Spasm while doing mild exercise. How to strengthen muscles?

Hello, I have had several abdominal surgeries (Eptopic, two C-sections, and a surgical hysterectomy ) and in 2010 had hernia repair (there was a large one and then several smaller ones) using mesh. My abdominal muscles are very weak but whenever I try to strengthen them using mild exercise and yoga type stretching the cramp up into a spasm. This also happens when reaching down, bending over to pick up something or tie my shoes, and pulling on my pants. I m so tired of not even being able to sit tall for very long without pain. What can I do?
Asked On : Wed, 27 Mar 2013