Unable to conceive. Wives report normal, husbands sperm count less. Wants to do varicocele surgery. Will it improve fertility?

Hi. My husband is 29 I am 27 - we are both active, lead healthly lifestyles and have normal range BMI s. No existing health issues, allergies or past health problems. No family history of infertility . We have been trying to concieve for 12 months - saw an RE we both had tests done - mine came back that everything is normal my husbands came back as having sperm count of 2 million but mobilitly and morphology was ideal (1 sample) a slightly elevated FSH at 9 (not sure of the units) all other bloodwork was within normal ranges. After reserach he strongly believes he has a varicocele and is seeing a urologist on Tues. If confirmed he will have the surgery and an increase in his sperm count would be expected, correct? If the little sperm he has now are in good shape would the increased number of sperm also be in good shape? From what I ve read data is inconclusive but in most cases chance of fertility does not increase even though sperm count does, how can this be? Is there anything he can should be doing in the meantime that could increase his fertility? How likely is it to concieve naturally with a sperm count of 2 million? Thank you for your time.
Asked On : Tue, 5 Jun 2012