Unable to Concentrate and Sleep.

Dear Doctor Sir. My name is sheweta, i am new to this forum and i think this is my first question here. i am currently preparing for CAT, last year i tried for CAT but i did not scored decent numbers and missed my admission to MBA. this year it will be my 3'rd attempt for CAT. And, i am getting nervous. I am not able to concentrate and focus on my preparations and i am not able to sleep properly, every night i sleep around 4 am and i waste most of time thinking and worrying instead of reading. please suggest me some methods or techniques to improve my concentration. thanks.
Asked On : Sat, 8 Aug 2009
  Anonymous's Response
Sheweta i think you are looking for a doctor but this is a forum of common man like you and me.The doctor is available by clicking on the image on the right hand side for chatting with a doctor.Your problem is very common amongst students specially when the anxiety level is high.There's no technique for it except to be realistic in your expectations.Yoga and deep breathing exercises may help but again it is not a guaranteed cure.Only way to cure is to stop hinking about the outcome and just keep trying to study hard towards your goal.Some sort of physical exercise like aerobics and jogging may also make you feel tired and you may get a sound sleep.
hi this is durgesh, 24yrs old, i read the symptoms of depression and i feel the same here, i lost one year of my engineering now, i have big responsibilities on me to look after my widowed mother and my brother, and i am not ablr to study efeectively how ever i work hard... please please help me!
Durgesh as someone mentioned in one of the comments, it is quite common amongst students.The more you will think about the problem, the more depressed you will feel.Ipersonally used to follow something which i called indiviluastic thinking.I do not bother about my family, i live for my own, i do not care for results and I study hard and after that, whatever is the outcome is fine with me.Stop thinking about a problem and it will reced.some people call it an ostrich behavious but it definitely helped me when i mentally dis-engaged myself from the outcome of examinations and job interviews.
Thank u so much for ur reply sir... im grateful to u... there's one more thing i wud want to mention, that i think i am low in IQ, for example if any body asks me the direction of a particular adress which i know, suddenly in most cases i show them the wrong direction even it is my home, i am not sharp as a student in grasping things...if for others if it takes a single attempt to grab it, for me it takes several attempts to understand it... so could u pls suggest any remedy for improving my IQ....and how do i build my concentratrion and confidencer?
  Anonymous's Response

Hi Shweta. 

First of all, I do not understand who posted the original query here. On my screen, I can see Kanye Rogers posting the original query and later on a response, too. I guess it's a mix up due to some software problems. 

I will consider that Shweta, who is preparing for CAT, is reading this. Shweta, please do not make any judgments about your own self from the results of CAT. And someone has mentioned about having "realistic expectations". I think you are quite realistic in expecting a good result in CAT. You need to dig deep and find out what your beliefs are.

Your goal is to clear CAT with good numbers and secure admission to MBA. You have to see if your decisions, actions, thoughts are working together to take you towards your goal or not! For example .... you are afraid of another bad result. This makes you feel nervous, you can not concentrate, your sleep quality has dropped down considerably.... and you lose time in worrying about what will happen if things go wrong. I hope you feel any or all of these are correct. 

The real problem lies deeper. And at present, due to the limited information you have posted, and due to a lack of one to one conversation, only you are in a position to find out you "self defeating thoughts or beliefs". 

Are you thinking ... "I must get into MBA, or it will mean that I am lesser than others, and life will be awful, and it will mean that I am not good enough" ? Please take your time and ask yourself questions like "what is the worst that can happen if I do not get into MBA" , or "what does it mean about me if I do not get into MBA?" and similar. 

I hope you are able to read this. Please reply back if you wish to discuss this further. Once you are able to find out your self defeating thoughts, we can work on converting them into thoughts perfectly aligned to your Gaol of getting an MBA. We can discuss strategies and techniques for the same. 

All the best. 

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

Consultant Psychiatrist

Anonymous's Response
Hi this is Venkat,15 years old.. and i'm having a tough time. I am very nervous about my board exams which is in the month of March.We have exams in school every week and i sit almost the entire night before the exams as i cannot concentrate when i have sufficient time. How can i concentrate and spend quality time studying..?? Can anybody please help me..??? PLEASE PLEASE...!
Psychiatrist Dr. Alok Ranjan's  Response
follow these simple steps :
leave behind all your fears,till you fear you will never succeed.
think that life is beyond cat and you can succeed in other fields.
make a regular routine
do not avoid sleep in night for at least 6 hours.
try to talk with your parents peers
do not avoid normal leasiure activity.