Type 2 diabetic, 65 yrs old, having numbness in hands and bottom of legs. Any thoughts ?

Hi my mother is type 2 diabetic. 65 years old with no history of hbp or hyperlipidemia. her A1c on her last exam was about 7.1 . she is taking metformine 500 mg tid.( not completly in compliance with her medication).In the past few weeks she is experiencing numbness on his hands and bottom part of her legs. Mostly numb and cold toes. Which has been better by heating pad and massage. Can u plz tell me what your thoughts are.
Asked On : Mon, 8 Apr 2013
Your mother seems to be suffering from peripheral neuropathy and the causes could be long standing diabetes or even a deficiency of VIT B12. 
VIT B12 deficiency is very common in people taking METFORMIN  and in vegetarians,specially vegans.
I advise you to get her injectable VIT B 12 for two weeks and see the response.
Failure to respond to injectable VIT B12 would indirectly confirm that symptoms are most likely due to diabetic peripheral neuropathy.

Although there has been considerable advances in the understanding behind the development of neuropathy but their treatment has been limited.
Along with a meticulous and tight control of blood sugar levels,treatment is aimed at reducing pain and other associated symptoms.
This is achieved by use of antidepressants like DULOXETIN ,use of anticonvulsant like PREGABALIN and a long acting opioid like TAPENTADOL.
You must discuss with your doctor to use these drugs singly or in different combinations.
I hope it helps.

Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

She needs assessment to exclude peripheral vascular disease...examination and Doppler studies help
Peripheral neuropathy too could be confirmed / documented...
Heating pad may be harmful - with reduced sensation, may end up in injury.
Strict control of diabetes / with added Anti-depressants, anti-convulsants and/or vitamins help)

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck