Trying to conceive. Heavy period. Prescribed norethisterone. Is it correct?

I have been prescribed norethisterone 5mg tablets to kick start my periods. I have not had a period since stopping the pill in June. I was on the pill for just over 10 years. I just wondered if this is the right tablet as my husband and I are trying to conceive. I have read online that this particular drug is used to stop heavy periods and now I am very confused?! Also what is the difference between this and Provera?
Asked On : Sun, 3 Feb 2013
As your doctor needs to put you on some kind of treatment for enhancing conception, it is essential that you get a period. Norethisterone is meant to induce withdrawal bleeding in your case. This is a progestogen, that mimics the effects of natural hormone progesterone. Provera consists of medroxy-progesterone which is a synthetic progestogen useful to treat several menstrual disorders as well as a contraceptive. Please follow your doctor's advice for further management. Good luck.

General & Family Physician Dr. Das Arindam's  Response
Sep 2012
Hello, welcome to HCM, I am Dr. Das

Look, to start period, it is necessary.

The drug is a progesterone analogue. It is very important to start period when it is stopped for many months. SO, take it.

But, i have a suggestion. You should do an ultrasound scan of whole abdomen to look for presence of any sign of polycystic ovarian syndrome.

So, consult with your treating doctor about this.