Treated for UTI. Difficulty in urination persisting. Why?

I had a uti however after taking some medicine 3 times for two days it's gone away but I still need to go to the toilet regularly and when I do I have trouble passing urine, it doesn't hurt but it's getting to the point where in the night ever three hours I will wake up and go to the toilet and when I'm finished it won't make any difference
Asked On : Fri, 19 Apr 2013
Hello and welcome to Healthcaremagic.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query and in my opinion there could be a few reasons for your non-resolving condition, they are:
-Inadequate duration of antibiotic used
-Inappropriate antibiotic used
-Inadequate dosage of antibiotic used

Thus, keeping this in mind the best option would be to visit your doctor and request for a urine culture and sensitivity examination, which will first confirm the infection, then provide information on the infection-causing organism. This is vital information as it gives the doctor information on the line of therapy (eg. antibiotics, anti-fungal, etc.). This investigation also provides the doctor information on the most suitable medication to be used to treat your infection and which particular medication would be most effective. This will ensure complete recovery from your infection.

Now coming to the next aspect, a persistent or recurrent infection almost always has some underlying cause. Thus, I would advice you to visit your doctor and get elaborately evaluated for all possible causes of a persistent and/or recurrent UTI.

I hope this information is what you were looking for. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, and I would be happy to help.

Best wishes.