Tooth pain after an unsuccessful root filling. Extraction suggested due to tooth decay. Any other treatment?

Well, years ago I had root filling- which was successful. Then my tooth started to hurt me and I realised I only had about half/third of my tooth. I went to the dentist and they said decay has gone straight up the bone and there is not enough tooth for a crown and the only thing to do is extraction howver the root filling was still there. However I am only 18 and i cant afford a replacment and I dont want to get my tooth extracted!- what can I do ?
Asked On : Mon, 5 Nov 2012