Tonsil hurting, difficulty in swallowing, black and white spots on tonsils

My name is kimberly, i went to the hospital yesterday about my throat my right tonsil is hurting making it hard for me to swallow sometimes its is inflammed, there is also a black/ white spot at the tope of my right tonsil, on my left tonsil it doesnt hurt its fine but does have white spots on it. the doctor told me it came back negative for strep throat , that it could be a virus . But I m worried it s somting else. Any idea s?
Asked On : Sat, 21 Apr 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Dear Mr Kimberly Hello I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon from India. On the basis of the info provided it appears you are suffering from acute infection of tonsil and the tissue around tonsil In medical tewrms we call it peritonsillar abscess. There is collection of pus around tonsil due to suppurative infection. This causes painful swallowing , fever and drooling of saliva. But then there can be other causes too like infectious mononucleosus, acute tonsilitis, agranulocytosis, acute leukemia, caididiasis. I would suggest you a ENT consultation and some tests -- blood test, throat swab for C/S and a course of antibiotics , analgesics and antiinflammatory drugs. I understand your concern but then I would advise you to wait for the results and think positive. If you have anymore concerns do let me know with warm regards Ravinder Sharma