Toe inflammed around the nail, applied creams, no relief. Suggestions?

My right big toe has been inflamed around the nail and the tip for about a month. Sore to bump, but no big deal. Firm to press down on inflamation. Seems to be its worst on the left (outside). All of a sudden it was like it and it hasn t gotten worse nor better. I m bathing it daily- ive tried salt, bi-carb soda , lemon myrtle, in the water with only minor results. Tried Bactrian and Aristocort topical creams with obly minor results. Two factors which changed around the time it appeared a month ago: bush pruning without appropriate footwear and new work shoes which aren t complete leather and don t breath well. what is wrong with my toe? I never have problems with them??? :/
Asked On : Sun, 4 Nov 2012
Hi, you seem to be having an ingrown toe nail which has got secondarily infected.Take a good oral antibiotic and a pain killer for 5 days and apply a steroid antibiotic cream twice to thrice in a day in and around your nail. Clean the area by soaking your foot in hot saline water, twice in a day. wear open foot wear. Dont wear occluded or tight foot wear. Once the swelling and infection subsides, you can meet a chiropodist to evaluate your toe nail whether it needs a partial avulsion or can be managed conservatively. Hope that answers your query