Toddler with cough, with slight fever and little blotchy skin. Any treatment?

My son is 9 months old and I brought him to my friends house on Wednesday.She has two boys ages 3 & 6. Well the next day my son wakes up with a cough . I figured he probably was just getting little cold until my friend called and told me her 3 year old has croup . Luckly his 9 month check up was Friday. His doctor listened to his chest and said he sounded fine. Well today he wakes up at 10am his cough sounds a little worse and before I could even feed him he spit up twice. He seems to be acting normal expect that he s already tired. He s still smiling and trying to get into everything. I don t know if he was just cold while I was changing him but his skin looked a little blotchy. I only have a forehead thermometer which I get like 3 different readings all around 97.2 and 97.8. I am a stay at home mom with no car and I started googling stuff so now I am freaked out please help
Asked On : Wed, 27 Mar 2013

Thank you for your query.

It appears that your son has contracted an infection from the other children. The forehead thermometer is not a reliable method of measuring the temperature and does give different readings. I suggest that you give your son some decongestant/cough syrup three times a day and observe. In case there is no improvement then he will need to be seen by the doctor who shall advise accordingly.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your son an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
Pediatrician Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty's  Response

Thanks for writing to health care magic.
Please note that in a child with cough the following indicate that the child requires medical attention immediately.
1. Fast breathing
2. chest indrawing
3. Nasal flaring ( The lateral walls of the nose move laterally with respiration)
4. Bluish discoloration of fingers
5. Poor feeding
6. Vomiting
7. Not accepting feed
8. Lethargy or increased irritability

So I request you to monitor your kid for the above and report to ER in the presence of any of the above.

Hope this helps.