Thyroid surgery done. Diagnosed with pappilory cancer. Pain and swelling in arm. Is it normal?

hi, my sister had tyroid surgery on june 6 and the first pathology report stated it was not cancer and the second tyroid report stated it was pappilory cancer. At that time she just had one side of thyroid removed on July 26th she had the other side removed. now both of her arms are in pain and one is very swollen. The dr seems to think that during surgery the cuff on her arm may have been to tight and caused the swelling . But it is in both arms. Is this normal?
Asked On : Wed, 1 Aug 2012