Thumb injury, swelling, cut nail, draining pus, foul smell. Treatment?

I smashed my thumb a couple of weeks ago. minimal pain now. swelling drained after a couple of days and has been draining to some degree ever since. I have kept a band on it every since, changing it every day. Nail is mostly white and I know I will eventually lose it. It smells really bad right now. Does this mean something bad?
Asked On : Tue, 18 Sep 2012
Infectious Diseases Specialist 's  Response
Hi there,
Welcome to HCM.
If the wound has not healed for more than two weeks, then it is definitely worrisome. Foul smelling discharge indicates bacterial infection. I suggest you get in touch with your GP for a complete course of antibiotics and analgesics. Please do this as soon as possible. Thanks.

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

Foul smell coming out of a wound indicates purulent infection inside. This definitely sounds bad but nothing to panic.

If the pus is deep seated, it may need a surgical drainage followed by an appropriate course of antibiotics and antiinflammatory medications. The quicker you act, the better will be the outcome.

There is no role for self care measures in your case.

I suggest you to immediately consult an orthosurgeon for further management.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day