Throat was sore with blisters. Why do they happen? Why the numbness?

Hello, I had a very sore throat (it looked like it had little white blisters in it), after 3 days of this it started to clear up. On the third day I woke up and found my throat to be much better but awoke to find a terrible left side earache along with a strange numb sensation/ loss of taste on the left side of my mouth. It has been nearly 3 days of this now, my throat is better but these new symptoms are not seeming to subside. Any ideas about this?
Asked On : Sat, 6 Oct 2012