Throat makes a strange gulping/squirting sound while swallowing. How to reduce the sound ?

Hello Doctor. When I swallow, my throat makes a strange gulping/squirting sound. This happens when drinking liquids, or even swallowing saliva . It made me very concious of my swallowing and I have anxiety because of it. Is there anything I can do to lessen the sound? And could I even determine the real cause of it? It s not because my voicebox is too close to my throat or something? Thank you.
Asked On : Mon, 11 Feb 2013
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to HCM,

Throat making a loud sound during swallowing can be due to many causes but most of the time it is nothing to be worried about. The relation of vocal cords or the organ of voice box is also not an issue here.

However you may evaluate yourself by performing an upper GI endoscopy to rule out any major problem which can cause such sounds to emanate from the throat.

Also try not to drink large quantity of liquids at a time and take short or small sips which can reduce the sounds.

take care and do not worry so much about a sound during swallowing when swallowing itself is fine

regards

Dr Sriram Nathan