The biceps area of left arm sore after lifting a table, hurts to lift the arm. Solution ?

i was lifting a table onto the back of a truck. we flipped the table as we lifted it. My biceps area of my left arm is very soar. It hurts to lift my arm. Sometimes I have to assist my arm in the lift. It doesn t hurt when it is resting on my side or in my lap, but certain ways of moving the arm bring pain to the biceps area.
Asked On : Fri, 8 Mar 2013
It seems that due to lifting heavy weight there might be heavy strain or some muscle tissue damage in your upper arm.
Give rest to the part.
Take some anti-inflammatory medicines.
Apply some muscle relaxant, analgesic cream on the part.
Ok and take care.
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
According to your description , your biceps seems to be inflammatory in nature. I advice you to give you rest to the part affected, take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) to reduce pain and inflammation and consult your doctor for thorough examination of arm and rule out any infective cause.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful
You can consult me again directly through my profile
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

It is very obvious from the description that you have suffered a soft tissue strain (Biceps strain) owing to the unaccustomed physical activity.

The conservative measures for the condition is as follows -
* Protection in the form of a arm sling or pouch to support the arm
* Rest to the injured part and don’t involve in activities which puts additional strain on the injured tissues.
* Ice packing should be applied for about 20 minutes once in every 2 hours.
* Moist heat fomentation to relax the taut muscle
* Analgesic & anti inflammatory medications as needed

If your symptoms are not resolving with the above measures, consult an orthopedic surgeon for futher workup and management.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day