Terrible sore throat and itching, drainage in left ear. Strep test negative, given Steroids. What kind of steroids is this?

I went to walk in clinic yesterday and had a terrible sore throat and itching and a small amount of drainage in my left ear. Tested neg for strep and flu , but still had body aches, fatigue and no temp. The dr gave me a steroid shot. I didn t ask what kind, and nothing else. What do you think? What kind of steroid would you think they gave me and what should it do to help? I do not frequent lay visit dr offices and I do have insurance I am female, 55 yrs f age and have no othercssuesither than menopause .
Asked On : Tue, 26 Feb 2013