Teenager. Very very thin body. Clavicle bone broken. Suggested surgery and insertion of plate. Suggest

My son (17) is very very thin,clavicle bone was broken and very displaced,Surgery was recommended in this case.!st doctor wanted to put a plate in,second doctor wanted to use what he called a new device.He called it a rod but said it was more like a long screw and would not migrate.this would leave smaller scar ect.It all sounded good but we did not want this rod left in.He said ,sometimes removal is difficult..........We decided on the plate.Surgery is Monday.I am scared to death the plate will show sooo much that my Son will be horrified and it will arritate the skin due to how thin he is.I have ask about a thinner plate but the nurse just said the doctor will make that decision.I know we can and will remove it but I'm worried about the 6-12 months that he will have to have it in.
Asked On : Wed, 3 Apr 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM. I will bring some clarity of thought for you with regard to the orthopedic implants. The plates or nails used in ortho surgeries are either made of stainless steel (ASTM standards) or Titanium. Titanium is having a little edge over the stainless steel and is preferred as it is inert and causes negligible tissue reaction. So i suggest you to go ahead with surgery without any hesitation. Regards