Teenager. Sudden lack of focus, confusion in taking decisions. Help

Sir,

My daughter of about 16 years old studying 12th std. is behaving abnormally since from about 2 months. She is very good student upto 10th std. and got A+ grade in SSC. After SSC she joined in 11th std. at Hyderabad. Just before the end examinations, one day she telephoned me and told that I want become singer and I don't want to study. I shocked some how I cooled her and asked her to concentrate on studies. Some how she wrote the exams. Now she started blaming the parents for not encouraging her to become a singer. Before joining the 11th std. she told that I want become youngest doctor by doing Ph.D. in some interested field. We are very much afraid now about her health condition. Can you please prescribe a good medicine

U. Sreenivas
Mobile: +91 0000
email: YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Thu, 2 May 2013
Feb 2013

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I can understand your concern about your adolescent behavior and her conflicts with you regarding her education.

Convince her about the necessity of basic education before planning to go into another profession.

And assess professionally about her singing talent by a master of music.

This type of behaviors are common in adolescent so understand it and try to stress on the need for education.

And if you still face the problems get her to a psychologist for further assessment of the child and for counseling.

Hope I have answered your query.

Regards.

Dr E Venkata Ramana,

Pediatrician,

Hyderabad.

Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

At this age, they are unstable and are easily influenced by extensive exposure - by friend, family society, media and so on..
You have to have true assessment of her actual interest and help her with it...If Music is her option, why not? But she should be convinced of the necessity for a basic undergraduate education and persist with the idea...
If the attitude is changing frequently, it may not be real interest / just an infatuation; may change again.
Make sure, she has no bad company or devious ways...
Family support is necessary.
Psychological assessment and counselling may help

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Pediatrician Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty's  Response
Hi Uravakonda sreenivas,

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

This sort of behavior is seen in teenagers of that age.

Try to take some time and discuss the issues in detail with her.

If the problems persist get the help of a psychiatrist.

Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.
Psychiatrist Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi's  Response
Dec 2014
Hello
Welcome to HCM

She is only 16 and she was a brilliant and focussed child. Suddenly she start saying that she wants to become a singer. Recently she is saying that she will become youngest doctor. She is also having problem of blaming others without any significant mistake. Although detailed evaluation can't be done with available history still I can say that such symptoms may occur due to some mood problem. She might be having symptoms of tall claims and she is having problem of irritability and hostile behavior also. Mania or initial stages of mania can be a possibility.
Or these symptoms may occur due to normal adolescent behavior. For proper evaluation take her to a Psychiatrist.

Hope it helps you.
Thanks
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD