Teenaged, pronounced uneven chest bone, had been hit on the chest. Does this sound serious?

Hi, my 15-year old son has a very pronounced uneven chest bone. It has been this way, or at least noticed since he was entering puberty , but has never caused him issues. While playing soccer, he was struck in the chest with the ball at a normal speed, and he mentioned that it hurt where the bone is larger than the other side. During an ankle injury consultation, the orthopedic mentioned taking him to a surgeon. Is this as serious as it sounds?
Asked On : Fri, 21 Dec 2012