Tearing noise on opening mouth, popping sound from jaw. What happened to my jaw?

Yesterday I opened my mouth and heard a tearing noise. I m not saying anything tore, but that s the closest thing I can think of to describe the sound. It seemed fine so I forgot about it, but this morning I woke up and the left side of my jaw hurt and popped (?) when I moved my jaw around or tried to chew food. It isn t as bad when I eat the food on the left side of my mouth, but it still doesn t feel right. What happened to my jaw?
Asked On : Sun, 21 Oct 2012
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 's  Response
hello thanks for consulting at hcm..u might hearing the clicking sound of the tmj..r ur muscles sore too?? have ur third molar erupted?? plz take course o analgesics and muscle relaxants,,if problm persists plz consult a oral medicine/oral surgeon specialist for a checkup and treatment..hope it helps,, tc