Taking zopiclone for insomnia. Do sleeping pills reduce the sleeping span?

i am a 69 year old female and have been taking zopiclone for over 2 years with great success for stubborn insomnia . However, I would really like to quit as I am worried about all the reports on how dangerous sleeping pills are and they shorten your life span. The first time I tried I went 60 hours without sleep and am taking them again because I felt horrible by the third day. How long does the rebound insomnia usually last ?? Thank you,
Asked On : Sun, 17 Feb 2013