Taking eptoin and valparin for epilepsy. When to take the medication?

Hi doctor, my mother has epilepsy for more than around 15 yrs now and she has always been prescribed Eptoin and sometimes Valparin along with it. She recently (5 months) had an attack and now she is taking Eptoin (2) tablets and Valparin (1) daily. I have two questions:
Question1: My cousin is biotechnologist (data research) in Mayo Clinic (USA) and he mentioned that Eptoin is not a good medication at all and will weaken an indivudal nuerologically - Please confirm if this is true and also confirm why doctors still prescriber such a drug
Question2: Please advice if both Eptoin and Valparin be taken on empty stomach, these days my Mom is taking them by drinking a lot of water in the morning on empty stomach with the fear that she may forget to take it later in the day
Asked On : Tue, 9 Apr 2013