Taking beta blocker, HBP reduction pill. Advised simvastatin for cholesterol. Risk of long term bad effects?

I have just started simvastatin 20 mg because Dr.. said my cholesterol is 258. I am 60. Is it very important to take it. I ask that only because I am wondering if it is appropriate to ask to stop if I get a lower reading, but how low is okay? I was told years ago by my family Dr. that 250 used to be regular and okay.My LDL is 178 Triglycerides 125 HDL 55. All other blood things healthy, no problems. This is all from about 2 weeks ago getting high blood pressure about 160/90. I am on Beta-blocker and a HBP-reduction pill. In 7 hours HBP became much lower and now runs around 118-120/59-69. That has worked wonders! My main concern is if there is much risk of long term bad effects from simvastatin? Is this a small dose that is not likely to cause side effects?
Asked On : Wed, 30 Jan 2013