Taking IRET-20, want to impregnate. Advisable to continue the medicine?

Hello Doctor. I am 30yrs (male) and have been on IRET 20 - since Sep 2012. My dosage is one tablet every alternate day post lunch. I am now planning to go the family way and since I had come across the warning on the box, which warns women who are pregnant or plan to get pregnant to discontinue the medication of IRET 20 as it can cause abnormalities to the baby. My concern is whether I should discontinue the medication of IRET 20, as I am planning on going the family way, though there is no warning issued for men.
Asked On : Thu, 13 Dec 2012
Hi there,

I have not been able to locate any medicine by the name of IRET 20. Perhaps, you might have spelt it wrong due to oversight. It will help me immensely if you forward name of salt in IRET.

Nevertheless, the drug can cause complications in pregnancy or abnormalities in the baby, ONLY WHEN WOMEN are on this drug. Since your wife is NOT taking IRET 20, there won't be ANY complications during pregnancy/to the baby.

You may therefore, continue with the drug IF it is being given for a specific ongoing problem.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal