Taking Glycomet for diabetes. High fasting sugar levels. Any difference if medicine is changed to Metformin?

Hi, this is for father. He is 65. He is a diabetic patient, per Dr.advice he has been taking Glycomet 500mg. His morning fasting sugar number is between 125-135 and after food is 190-200. I know this is out of the range. He is also going through diet control to keep carb to a moderate level and increased other grains that has high fiber and also vegetables and salad. I am wondering if we change the medicine to metformin Hcl er 500 mg, will it make any difference. Please advise.
Asked On : Sun, 23 Dec 2012