Taking Amplodipine for hypertension. Can I get off the drug when my condition improves?

I am a 28 year old African man from Uganda who recently discovered that I had a BP of 160/100. I currently weigh 63 kg and I am 1.78 meters. I was introduced by a Cardiologist to Amplodipine Besilate Tablets 5mg. I have been taking the tablets daily for nearly a weak and I feel better now. After some tests, it was discovered that there was no obvious cause for the High blood pressure except probably family history. My Dad and maternal grandmother have both had Hypertension . However, the Cardiologist informed me that it may be impossible to get of the drugs even when my BP lowers. I was also advised to reduce on my salt intake. I don t wish to continue taking the drugs for the rest of my life. How can I get off the drugs when my condition improves? Is there any hope that I ll ever get off the drugs?
Asked On : Thu, 14 Feb 2013