Symptoms of repetitive stress on right wrist due to frequent use of keyboards. How can I fix it?

i have all the symptoms of repetitive strain on my right wrist (hurts alot, hurts when i try try to lower my wrist ) i have found it does not hurt as much if i were a bandage for support, i know that it is because of my frequent use of keyboards on a computer however i am doing all my A levels on a computer and have not alternative i can do in order to pass my A levels. The pain is really bad i am wondering is their anything i can do to ease the pain. I dont want to go to my GP just be told to stop over using it when i can t
Asked On : Tue, 19 Feb 2013
It seems you have diagnosed your own problem , the abnormal posture of ones wrist on a keyboard is a common cause of tendinitis of the wrist. Obviously you must change the posture at the keyboard , support your forearms and possibly keep the keyboard on your lap. You can apply an ice-pack wrapped in a damp cloth when resting, also elevate your wrist above your heart whenever you can. Lastly anti-inflammatory medication can be used for short periods of time as necessary .
All of the best with your studies.

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
This can happen even more quickly as a result of typing technique and body positions that place unnecessary stress on the tendons and nerves in the hand, wrist, arms, and even the shoulders and neck. Lack of adequate rest and breaks and using excessive force almost guarantee trouble.
Keep your wrist, arm, hand and fingers strong. It is harder to overuse something if it is normally worked harder. Strengthen the muscles involved and increase flexibility through stretching.
Don't Break the Wrist
DON'T POUND on the keys
Hold the mouse lightly, don't grip it hard or squeeze it
Keep your arms & hands warm
Consider voice recognition
you can again contact me directly through my profile
Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.