Swollen knuckle joint. Its getting worse. Underlying cause?

The knuckle joint around my right hand ring finger has been swollen for several days, it began on the palm side of the hand, and I thought it was due to using a screwdriver a few days back; I have noticed similar discomfort previously, but that was just slight blistering under the callous (I'm a gardener, so I use my hands a lot and blisters are par for the course) It seems to get worse throughout the day and then is slightly better in the morning, but overall, it's getting worse, such that I can make less and less of a fist. The swelling seems to be spreading, and it is slightly hot, but only hurts when pressure is applied.
Asked On : Sat, 23 Mar 2013
Hi, Thanks for using HCM.

Your symptoms suggests spreading infection beneath skin.
You need anti inflammatory medication and antibiotics.
If there is any collection of pus that needs to be removed and dressing needs to done.
Hope I answered your question. Consult your doctor for further examination and management.
Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.
Wish you good health. Take care.

Dr. Vidya