Swollen, inflamed toe, blister between fingers, throbbing pain. Treatment options?

My toe (the one next to the pinky) on my right foot is swollen and inflamed. There appears to be a blister (popped already?) in between this toe and the pinky. It s been hurting for a few days now but is far worse today. I play a lot of softball and therefore do a lot of sprinting. Not sure if my turfs were a little too tight. I was able to run well through the pain before but I could not even wear my sneakers this morning. I didn t notice any specific time when I may have injured the toe so it just appears to have gotten progressively worse. It was throbbing last night so bad that I couldn t fall asleep. Ice relieved the pain and allowed me to fall asleep. Any thoughts on the cause of this and what I can do to treat it myself? And prevention in the future?
Asked On : Thu, 18 Oct 2012

Welcome to HCM.

When it has popped, it means there was pus inside.
It is wise to consult
1. To look for residual pus and drain if necessary.
2. To take a radiograph of the part and look for bone involvement in the process.
3. As you are physically very active.

Till then

1. Leg elevation.
2. Anti- inflammatory agents

would help.