Swollen hard lump under the skin of lower leg post an insect bite, swollen ankle with a feeling of something crawling. Are the two related?

I was bitten by something about a month ago on my lower leg about mid way up. At first I thought it was a mosquito bite; red and very itchy with a little bump. Within a few days it became VERY itchy and swollen with a hard lump under the skin. The itchy is now gone and just a little scab is left but I still have a large swollen hard lump under the skin. Now my ankle is slightly swollen and it keeps feeling like something is crawling on my ankle but nothing there. This sensation is driving me crazy. Is it possible that the two are related?
Asked On : Sat, 23 Jun 2012

You are right. You may be having insect bite. There may be insect toxic dermatitis. The affected area may become erythematous and vesicular or bullous lesions.there may be swelling also. But as you said the lesion is healing. And now you have swelling and crawling sensation. If needed, you may continue antibiotics for 1 to 2 weeks. Take anti inflammatory drugs.keep the affected foot elevated. For crawling sensation, it may be vague and of no importance. However,you may take fluoxetin 10 mg daily till you feel better.

I hope you got my answer.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD