Swollen gum due to tooth infection. Root canal treatment needed. Swelling and numbness not coming down. What to do?

for a dentist: my friend has swollen left side from tooth infection on the molar lower left side.- which was diagnosed to need a root canal . he took antibiotics- just took the first one a few hours ago- (one every 12 hours) but the swelling increased as he went to sleep (woke up after an hour feeling the increased swelling and numbness. its the middle of the night- what to do? thank you- russel
Asked On : Mon, 1 Apr 2013