Swollen forearm after surgery for compound fracture. Suggested shoulder exercises. Can elbow be moved?

My husband, 68 years old, sustained a compound fracture to his distal humerus and a cracked radius at his wrist on 31 Aug in a motorcycle accident. The fracture was stabilised with a couple of screws and 2 pins and he had a back slab applied. However, after nearly 6 weeks, the fracture destabilsed and he was readmitted for further surgery. He now has 2 plates and some screws for fragments. All seems stable 2.5 weeks later, and he has a plastic humeral brace. His forearm is still swollen. He appears to have some nerve damage and has no hand extension. He tries to put his hand and forearm through ROM and does some pendulum exercises for his shoulder. We havenĀ“t been told whether he can start trying to move his elbow . Should he start trying to use it?
Asked On : Mon, 12 Nov 2012