Swollen feet, sharp pain in the knee to ankle. Cause?

Hi, I have talked to my Mum yesterday on the phone who just returned from a HK trip, she has swollen feet when she return and when she was doing some gardening work yesterday all the sudden she felt a very sharp pain start from the knee area down to ankle I have advise her to go to see a doctor. Do you think there s anything she could do to prevent it happen? or maybe find the cause of it?
Asked On : Fri, 22 Feb 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Hi and welcome to HCM

Your mother might be suffering from peripheral edema.

To get relief from the pain:
Elevate your legs above your heart while lying down.
Exercise your legs. This helps pump fluid from your legs back to your heart.
Wear support stockings.
Follow a low-salt diet, which may reduce fluid retention and swelling.

Avoid sitting or standing without moving for prolonged periods of time. Exercise regularly. Lose weight if she need to.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.