Swelling, pain in knee. Tried icing it, taken ibuprofen. Safe to continue playing sports?

My 11 yr old son is having swelling/pain on his knee . He plays a lot of sports, currently basketball. It doesn t hurt too much to walk on it but to touch it on either side of his knee cap is painful. We are doing ice, ibuprofen and my husband just got a neoprean (spelled) brace. Anything else we can be doing? He has a lot of basketball coming up today and this weekend. Will it hurt him further to let him play or having a brace on help?
Asked On : Sun, 27 Jan 2013