Swelling, pain, burning sensation in medial side of knee. What could be the reason?

My son has been training for skiing in Argentina the end of the month...he has been running on our dirt road. Medial side of left knee began to hurt, small amount of swelling around the medial side of knee cap. He complains now today that it has a burning feel there extend alittle further length of ones hand from top of knee cap to just below. He is schedualed to see orthopedic Tuesday but concerned over warmer than other leg. No wound to suggest infection.Possibly concerned about blood clot?
Asked On : Sat, 28 Jul 2012