Swelling in leg below knee, dark spots on soles of feet. Possible causes?

A friend of mine has experienced strange symptoms and no one knows what to make of them. He has swelling from his knees down and dark spots on the soles of his feet . We live in a rural area with very little in the way of available medical services and no lab facilities. Kindly help me point him in the right direction as to possible causes and treatments .
Asked On : Tue, 8 May 2012
Feb 2016
Hi. You have mentioned only 2 symptoms , namely swelling knees downward, meaning to me as both the legs and Dark spots on the feet. Whereas the patient lives in a rural area, this can indicate to some sort of infection of soles giving swelling of knees down. It is better to get a check up by a Doctor as this can in a long run can cause a big problem. No barefoot , always to wear chappals or shoes. Keep them clean with regular soap and water. Apply liquid Betadine .