Swelling in feet, face and back. Travelled long distance by car. Help

hi doc.i was travelling long distance in my car and notice i got swollen feet ,but wen i rest it was normal.when i reach home then two days after that my half body was swollen from my face till my back,,but whole night i was sleeping on my side which was swollen the next day,,please do u have any answer for me?i still have little swelling in my face and backside,please help??
Asked On : Thu, 15 Nov 2012
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM
Swelling can appear on legs and feet sfter siiting in one posture with hanging legs for long duration as while travelling.
However, this kind of swelling is relieved after taking rest.
If the swelling persists and is also seen on the face then there is some other pathology in the body.
Under normal conditions all the tissue fluid is prevented from accumulating in the tissue by a normal functioning heart and normal functioning kidney.
Dysfunctioning of kidney causes edema (swelling) which starts from face and then moves to other parts of body like chest, abdomen and then lower limbs.
Cardiac abnormalities cause edema (swelling) which begins in lower limb and then upper part of body.

So, renal function tests and examination of cardiac system need to be done.
Also get your blood pressure measured as edema may develop in high bp.

Thank you
Dr Shailja P Wahal