Swelling, burning sensation after re-spraining ankle. Icing done, kept elevated. X-ray required? Healing time?

My daughter re-sprained her ankle Saturday at a basketball game. She has some swelling . We kept it elevated and followed the icing procedures the rest of the day Sat., Sun, and Monday. She complained of burning sensation from the ankle to halfway up her calf . On Monday night she said it felt better so she played basketball on it after taping it and bracing it. Now she complains of burning sensations on both the inside and outside of her ankle. It is still swollen. Does she need to see a dr, get an x-ray , or just let time try to heal?
Asked On : Sun, 10 Feb 2013