Swelling around the distal phalanx with discoloration, stiffness and pain after dropping of heavy objects on finger. How can I relieve it?

A 100lb plate dropped on my finger tips today. It hurt immeadiately, but the pain subsided after about 10 minutes. However, two of my fingers are very swollen around the distal phalanx, and underneath they have turned black and blue. They are hard to the touch, and pretty stiff, but there is movement. There is also nothing wrong with my fingernails, it s the finger tip underneath. Please help!
Asked On : Tue, 24 Jul 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
I want to suggest you to get x ray of the hand to check if there is any fracture of phalanx. If yes then it will require splinting. Even if there is no fracture then also there is no harm in splint age. Take Brufen tablet twice daily, ice application and Diclofenac ointment. Avoid keeping your hand in hanging position.