Swelling and pain in tail bone. Remedy?

I have a place on my tailbone that hurt me so bad the more work I do the bigger it get. If I do anything I'm going to pay for it. Any pushing, pulling, setting for along time, keeping grandkids hurts. I've tried working out, it well swell n hurts so bad that I cry n so depress because I can't do anything without hurting. Can you please tell me what to do .also has alot of heat in it, it gets so hot I sweat. Please help jan
Asked On : Wed, 9 Oct 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

Most propably, it could be coccydynia (pain in the tail bone area). This condition is caused by an injury or stress that affects the tailbone, as well as the muscles and nerves surrounding it. Examples include:
• Fall or trauma
• Prolonged sitting on hard surfaces
• Spinal cyst or tumor
• Dislocation from injury or Overweight , which can cause bones to shift
• Repeated stress (eg, horseback riding, bicycling, motorcycle riding)

An xray is needed to know the bony status and MRI scan will pick up any soft tissue pathology in that area.

In the mean time, to lessen the pain, the following measures have to be taken -

* Sit completely upright with proper posture — keeping your back firmly against the chair, knees level with your hips, feet flat on the floor and shoulders relaxed

* Sitz baths (which involves soaking hips and buttocks)

* Lean forward while sitting down

* Sit on a doughnut-shaped pillow or wedge (V-shaped) cushion

* Apply heat or ice to the affected area

*Physical therapy involving strengthening of pelvic area muscles , stimulation with ultrasound therapy

* Take over-the-counter pain relievers, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil)

Hope this information is helpful. Good day