Swelling and bruising on the middle of the hand, knuckles and webs, popping on flattening the hand post a bang. Normal X-ray. Worrisome?

about two weeks ago .. me & a friend went to the gym & was punching the heavy bag. the middle of my hand , my last 3 knuckles & in between my fingers are swollen & bruised still. & it hurts when touched. i got it x rayed & they said nothing was broken & told me to wrap it in an ace bandage . but when i flatten my hand something pops. should i be worried that its still bruised up, pops & is still sore to the touch like that?
Asked On : Thu, 19 Jul 2012
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
hi vannababy, what you have described seems like a soft tissue injury to me and as there is no fracture you can just give that hand some rest, cold packs and some antiinflammatory or a painkiller should be fine. you will feel some relief in a few days. You should not generally get hurt while practicing and so you need to recheck the method you are using and take advice from an expert or physiotherapist before taking up any new activity. Do not massage the sore area but give it adequate rest.