Swallowed metal staple, sharp pain under rib cage. Serious condition?

Hi I am 14 yrs old and I have swallowed a small metal staple when it fell into a drink. I am feeling sharp pains underneath my rib cage and I am scared I have ripped the lining of some vital organ or tube. I am very scared right now and am in need of advice as I do not want to tell my parents because I do not want to look stupid. Do I need to see a doctor? Is it serious? Will it just pass through or damage me? Will I die? Please help me
Asked On : Wed, 12 Dec 2012
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
hi there, just relax and do not worry. By now the staple pin would have passed out in the stool and what you are experiencing is nothing but your worry manifested in the form of physical pain. You are definitly not going to die due to the staple pin. Stop worrying and take plenty of fibrous diet and water so that you flush your digestive system. You will be fine in a day or twol; if any other symptoms appear then you may consult a doctor with the advise of your parents. For the time being just relax and things will be alright.