Surgery done to repair laceration in lip of child. Lip swollen, slurs while speaking. Normal?

My 5 yr old son had surgery to repair a laceration to his upper lip near teh corner of his mouth. It was beow his vermillion? The doctor a plastic surgeon, thouroghly cleaned it with some type of thin wipe, putting this cleaning wipe directly into the wound (the wound passed completely through to the inside of tehmouth). My question is this. 48 hours after teh surgery teh lip is swollen and he slurs his speech. Is this normal?
Asked On : Mon, 4 Mar 2013