Suffering with mitral valve prolapse, IBS, have swelling around ribcage causing breathing difficulty, severe heartburn with back pain. Hernia?

I am a 55 year old female with no known heart prblems other than mild mitral valve prolapse and IBS . For at least 3 or 4 years I have noticed a smooth swelling or rise jsut below the left breast bone, around top of the rib cage area. No history of injuries to the area. On one or two occasions I have had severe pain in that area, almost like a nerve pain; bad enough to create breathing difficulty. With reast, it goes away. I also have regular reoccurence of chronic burping (harder than burps) and swelling in the upper abdomen, along with frequent heartburn . This conditoin may last a few hours or a few days. On occassion, I get accompanying back pain and shortness of breath that is relieved by lying on my right side. During these flareups, they are aggravatged and occur almost immediately after eating. Could all this be caused by a hernia or some form of prolapse? (A few years ago I believe I suffred a pelvic and/or abdominal prolapse after extensive exercise, after I had not exercised for several years). Thanks for your input.
Asked On : Tue, 24 Jul 2012
Answers:  0 Views:  230 Awaiting Answer