Suffering from brain problem. Taking oxetol 300. Getting fits if medicine not taken. Is there any side effects of this medicine?

hello sir..i am pooja,age 25.i am surfing from brain problem since childhood.i got fainted sometimes n with no pain i woke up in few seconds.i m takin oxetol 300 since two years n no fits wen i take medicine.but when i dont take medicine i again fall into fits.i dont know how long i have to take this medicine.and is ther any side effects of this medicine. please i need to consult neurosurgeon again.
Asked On : Sun, 1 Jul 2012
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013
Hi Ms Pooja,

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms and they are suggestive of a condition called as epilepsy.

In epilepsy, a person can faint repeatedly. However, once you take antiepileptic drugs (AEDs), then, these fainting episodes would stop.

Oxetol (oxcarbazepine) is a good AED, and it is required for long duration. In several people, we are able to stop AEDs in 3-5 years. However, in some people, lifelong medicines may be required.

Oxetol is a safe medicine and there are no serious side effects with that.

I hope it helps.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist