Suffering from back pain. Report say bone surrounding spinal cord is extended. What to do ?

Hi, My father is suffering form back pain . his report says that spinal chord surrounded by the bone is extended inside , also some muscles are extended thats why the spinal chord got less room and the other chords from that portion to thai got less room . so he is suffering from massive pain. At this stage some dr. suggest him for a surgery to cut the extended muscles so that the other chord will get more room and there will be no tension to the chord, and that place will be pain free. He is 68 years old. Can u suggest me what to do? My email address is YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Fri, 3 Aug 2012