Suffering from COPD, will undergo angioplasty. Method used to control phelgm build-up? Chances of survival?

Hello, My 50 yr old brother has COPD , 3x bypass and 2nd stage emphysema. Tomorrow morning, he will have an angioplasty to determine if his heart is the cause of his increased pain over the past several months. What is the method used to control the build-up of phlegm from his COPD while he lies flat for the angioplasty? Also, please tell me the percentage of his surviving this procedure. Thank you for your time and for helping with my questions.
Asked On : Sat, 7 Jul 2012